Buckeye Institute: Go back to the drawing board on bail reform
Buckeye Institute misses the mark on Bail Reform by Jeff Clayton, Executive Director, American Bail Coalition You may have recently seen the report from from the Buckeye Institute, entitled “Money Bail” Making Ohio A More Dangerous Place to Live. This report contains so many errors and incomplete information that, frankly, it should be discarded. Yet, we…
Connecticut Sentencing Commission Suffers from Amnesia by resuming talks of Bail Reform
The Connecticut Sentencing Commission this week held a public hearing on bail reform – rehashing a multi-year issue already addressed mere months ago. by Jeff Clayton, Executive Director, American Bail Coalition The Connecticut Sentencing Commission, which is a commission that rubber-stamps the bail reform policies of lame-duck Governor Malloy, has a bit of amnesia it…
Published by the Kings County Bar Association in the December issue of Bar Bulletin By Jeffrey J. Clayton As we have watched the no-money bail movement continue to sling false narratives, the undeniable truth has emerged that the actual no-money bail system is too expensive. The price tag is too high for state and local…
NO MONEY BAIL ACT
THE 10% CASH DEPOSIT BAIL SCHEME
• AKA The 90% Discount •
Over the last many years courts in Georgia, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, South Carolina and others have started using bail to guarantee payment of court fines and costs rather than the defendant’s appearance in court.
The result is, the courts have raised a lot of money at the expense of thousands of failures to appear, thousands of unserved warrants and profound negative impact on public safety and justice for victims of crime.
ABC MEMBER COMPANIES
Find out if your surety is a member of the American Bail Coalition and WHETHER OR NOT THEY ARE supporting the bail bond industry. If you don’t see your surety listed below, make sure to ask them why. Learn more.
ABC AGENT AFFILIATE PROGRAM
The American Bail Agent Coalition
Here are just a few of the benefits to joining the American Bail Agent Coalition:
- ABAC is a partner to the leader in the preservation of commercial bail – the American Bail Coalition. The benefit of the financial and legal support allows ABAC to devote the vast majority of their resources to real issues and real efforts – all under the guidance of ABAC members.
- State Association support – access to legal experts and media relations.
- State association support – funding through our ABAC State Association Rebate Program.
- Participation in ABC legislative efforts – partnering to work together on advocating for meaningful legislation.
- Access to our monthly updates on updates and news concerning our industry across the country.