Arnold Foundation: Accumulating mountains of data on criminal defendants for algorithms now accused of creating mass incarceration.
Big Data is Big Business for reformers accumulating a massive inventory of private information on criminal defendants…enter the MacArthur Foundation. June 15 2018 Many of you have read about our continuing attempts to expose the fact that much of criminal justice reform is that the process is the product. In other words, there is very…
New research from Rice University spotlights the risk of increasing mass incarceration using computerized risk assessments
As legislators consider legislation that utilizes computerized risk assessments, new research from Rice University spotlights the risk of increasing mass incarceration. June 13 2018 New research on algorithms in criminal justice by Professor Robert Werth of Rice University asserts that the growth of risk algorithms is a central cause of generational mass incarceration. Risk assessment tools may increase…
Delaware: Proposed legislation will increase mass incarceration, lock up the innocent
Bail Reform (H.B. 204) has already passed in Delaware—Proposed change to the Delaware Constitution to allow for preventative detention based on labeling defendants as “Dangerous” is reform that will instead increase incarceration. June 12 2018 Bail reform in Delaware that was intended to reduce the reliance on monetary bail, allow for additional discretion for pretrial…
NO MONEY BAIL ACT
THE 10% CASH DEPOSIT BAIL SCHEME
• AKA The 90% Discount •
Over the last many years courts in Georgia, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, South Carolina and others have started using bail to guarantee payment of court fines and costs rather than the defendant’s appearance in court.
The result is, the courts have raised a lot of money at the expense of thousands of failures to appear, thousands of unserved warrants and profound negative impact on public safety and justice for victims of crime.
ABC MEMBER COMPANIES
Find out if your surety is a member of the American Bail Coalition and WHETHER OR NOT THEY ARE supporting the bail bond industry. If you don’t see your surety listed below, make sure to ask them why. Learn more.
ABC AGENT AFFILIATE PROGRAM
The American Bail Agent Coalition
Here are just a few of the benefits to joining the American Bail Agent Coalition:
- ABAC is a partner to the leader in the preservation of commercial bail – the American Bail Coalition. The benefit of the financial and legal support allows ABAC to devote the vast majority of their resources to real issues and real efforts – all under the guidance of ABAC members.
- State Association support – access to legal experts and media relations.
- State association support – funding through our ABAC State Association Rebate Program.
- Participation in ABC legislative efforts – partnering to work together on advocating for meaningful legislation.
- Access to our monthly updates on updates and news concerning our industry across the country.