(Op-Ed) “New Mexicans should demand bail amendment” – Albuquerque News Journal
New Mexicans should demand bail amendment (posted in Albuquerque News Journal – Nov 17 2017) The Albuquerque Journal’s (Oct. 29) editorial regarding bail reform for New Mexico concluded there is no necessity for another constitutional amendment on the issue. Inadvertently, it actually proves the point that there is a dire need for one. Justice Charles…
Federal Judge Rosenthal’s bail reform social experiment is a failure; U.S. Court of Appeals has a chance to restore criminal accountability
Judge Rosenthal’s “bail reform” social experiment is failing in Harris County, Texas as a staggering 34.6% of those released fail to appear by Jeff Clayton, Executive Director, American Bail Coalition This past April, Federal District Judge Lee Rosenthal issued an order granting a preliminary injunction in a case in Houston that asserted that the use…
Jeff Clayton on NPR’s “All Things Considered” concerning California Bail Reform
California’s Bail System Is ‘Unsafe And Unfair,’ Study Finds (reported Eric Westervelt of NPR) “I think the bail industry and the research shows we do our best work, in terms of reducing long-term fugitive rates and returning people to court when they flee, in high-risk felony cases,” says Jeff Clayton, director of the American Bail…
NO MONEY BAIL ACT
THE 10% CASH DEPOSIT BAIL SCHEME
• AKA The 90% Discount •
Over the last many years courts in Georgia, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, South Carolina and others have started using bail to guarantee payment of court fines and costs rather than the defendant’s appearance in court.
The result is, the courts have raised a lot of money at the expense of thousands of failures to appear, thousands of unserved warrants and profound negative impact on public safety and justice for victims of crime.
ABC MEMBER COMPANIES
Find out if your surety is a member of the American Bail Coalition and WHETHER OR NOT THEY ARE supporting the bail bond industry. If you don’t see your surety listed below, make sure to ask them why. Learn more.
ABC AGENT AFFILIATE PROGRAM
The American Bail Agent Coalition
Here are just a few of the benefits to joining the American Bail Agent Coalition:
- ABAC is a partner to the leader in the preservation of commercial bail – the American Bail Coalition. The benefit of the financial and legal support allows ABAC to devote the vast majority of their resources to real issues and real efforts – all under the guidance of ABAC members.
- State Association support – access to legal experts and media relations.
- State association support – funding through our ABAC State Association Rebate Program.
- Participation in ABC legislative efforts – partnering to work together on advocating for meaningful legislation.
- Access to our monthly updates on updates and news concerning our industry across the country.