New Mexico Governor Martinez Warns Utah: Be Skeptical of Misleading Arnold Risk Assessment Tool (Video)
New Mexico Governor Susana Martinez took to media to warn Utah citizens and lawmakers of adopting the Arnold Foundations Pretrial Risk Assessment Tool by court rule and other bail bond reforms – which has perpetuated a “catch and release revolving door criminal justice system” in New Mexico. April 18 2018 Eric Holder’s bail reform has…
Virginia Passes Legislation to Rein In Pretrial Services and Force Basic Accountability
Virginia takes on the issue of accountability and forces transparency in pretrial services division. April 17 2018 In November, 2017 the Virginia Crime Commission issued a report on the state of pretrial services programs, often posited as an alternative to financial conditions of bail. Since the 1960s, bail reformers have quoted Robert F. Kennedy for…
Colorado: Bail Reform Legislation Goes Up in Smoke in the Mile High City
Colorado becomes the latest State this spring to reject the no-money bail system, bail reform, and the idea of releasing more defendants on a simple “promise to appear.” April 17 2018 Yesterday, the Colorado Senate killed House Bill 1089, which would have largely prohibited judges from using judicial discretion in imposing monetary bail in most…
NO MONEY BAIL ACT
THE 10% CASH DEPOSIT BAIL SCHEME
• AKA The 90% Discount •
Over the last many years courts in Georgia, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, South Carolina and others have started using bail to guarantee payment of court fines and costs rather than the defendant’s appearance in court.
The result is, the courts have raised a lot of money at the expense of thousands of failures to appear, thousands of unserved warrants and profound negative impact on public safety and justice for victims of crime.
ABC MEMBER COMPANIES
Find out if your surety is a member of the American Bail Coalition and WHETHER OR NOT THEY ARE supporting the bail bond industry. If you don’t see your surety listed below, make sure to ask them why. Learn more.
ABC AGENT AFFILIATE PROGRAM
The American Bail Agent Coalition
Here are just a few of the benefits to joining the American Bail Agent Coalition:
- ABAC is a partner to the leader in the preservation of commercial bail – the American Bail Coalition. The benefit of the financial and legal support allows ABAC to devote the vast majority of their resources to real issues and real efforts – all under the guidance of ABAC members.
- State Association support – access to legal experts and media relations.
- State association support – funding through our ABAC State Association Rebate Program.
- Participation in ABC legislative efforts – partnering to work together on advocating for meaningful legislation.
- Access to our monthly updates on updates and news concerning our industry across the country.