BREAKING: U.S. Court of Appeals for the 5th Circuit Issues Ruling – Bail Schedules Constitutional, No Right to an “Affordable Bail”
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit Issues Ruling Dramatically Limiting Federal Judge’s Order in Houston Bail Case: Bail Schedules May Be Used And There is No Right to An “Affordable Bail” New Orleans, LA – For months, we have heard nothing but calls from the Plantiffs in the ODonnell v. Harris County case,…
West Virginia Bail Reform Legislation – Dangerous and Unproven Criminal Risk Assessment Algorithms
West Virginia Bail Reform Legislation would Encourage the Use of Unproven Criminal Risk Algorithms and Delegate Power to the Courts to Adopt the No-Money Bail System. by Jeff Clayton, Executive Director, American Bail Coalition Conversations on bail reform all are all the new rage. That we can simply use computers to safely and efficiently reduce…
New Jersey Courts Attempt to Tweet Their Way to Bail Reform Success
One Year In…What We Do (or Don’t) Know about New Jersey Bail Reform #IfWeTweetItsSuccessItMustBeTrue by Jeff Clayton, Executive Director, American Bail Coalition The New Jersey Courts issued a report yesterday touting the success of the implementation of bail reform in New Jersey, a cooperative project of the State Courts and Chris Christie administration in…
NO MONEY BAIL ACT
THE 10% CASH DEPOSIT BAIL SCHEME
• AKA The 90% Discount •
Over the last many years courts in Georgia, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, South Carolina and others have started using bail to guarantee payment of court fines and costs rather than the defendant’s appearance in court.
The result is, the courts have raised a lot of money at the expense of thousands of failures to appear, thousands of unserved warrants and profound negative impact on public safety and justice for victims of crime.
ABC MEMBER COMPANIES
Find out if your surety is a member of the American Bail Coalition and WHETHER OR NOT THEY ARE supporting the bail bond industry. If you don’t see your surety listed below, make sure to ask them why. Learn more.
ABC AGENT AFFILIATE PROGRAM
The American Bail Agent Coalition
Here are just a few of the benefits to joining the American Bail Agent Coalition:
- ABAC is a partner to the leader in the preservation of commercial bail – the American Bail Coalition. The benefit of the financial and legal support allows ABAC to devote the vast majority of their resources to real issues and real efforts – all under the guidance of ABAC members.
- State Association support – access to legal experts and media relations.
- State association support – funding through our ABAC State Association Rebate Program.
- Participation in ABC legislative efforts – partnering to work together on advocating for meaningful legislation.
- Access to our monthly updates on updates and news concerning our industry across the country.