Virginia Attorney General Bail Reform Proposal – Read Between the Lines
In a letter to the Virginia State Crime Commission this month, Virginia Attorney General Mark R. Herring outlined his vision of bail reforms which include the expansion of government run pretrial services and limiting judicial discretion. Virginia’s top cop seems to have followed the lead of other jurisdictions across the country in moving toward some…
Michigan Bail Reform has finally arrived…a 9-Bill package that that rewards those criminally charged and dismisses victims. October 28, 2108 Michigan Representative David LeGrand (D-75), after over a year of talk, has finally introduced a bail reform package in Michigan. The 9-Bill package, filed October 17, 2018, looks to overhaul the bail system with a…
Federal Judge Denies Right to Affordable Bail But Finds Dallas County Has Inadequate Bail Review Procedures
It is Time for the Texas Legislature to Act to Fix these Procedural Due Process Issues in the Bail Setting and Review Process September 24, 2018 On Thursday September 20, 2018, U.S. District Judge David C. Godbey of the United States District Court for the Northern District of Texas issued a preliminary injunction against Dallas…
NO MONEY BAIL ACT
THE 10% CASH DEPOSIT BAIL SCHEME
• AKA The 90% Discount •
Over the last many years courts in Georgia, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, South Carolina and others have started using bail to guarantee payment of court fines and costs rather than the defendant’s appearance in court.
The result is, the courts have raised a lot of money at the expense of thousands of failures to appear, thousands of unserved warrants and profound negative impact on public safety and justice for victims of crime.
ABC MEMBER COMPANIES
Find out if your surety is a member of the American Bail Coalition and WHETHER OR NOT THEY ARE supporting the bail bond industry. If you don’t see your surety listed below, make sure to ask them why. Learn more.
ABC AGENT AFFILIATE PROGRAM
The American Bail Agent Coalition
Here are just a few of the benefits to joining the American Bail Agent Coalition:
- ABAC is a partner to the leader in the preservation of commercial bail – the American Bail Coalition. The benefit of the financial and legal support allows ABAC to devote the vast majority of their resources to real issues and real efforts – all under the guidance of ABAC members.
- State Association support – access to legal experts and media relations.
- State association support – funding through our ABAC State Association Rebate Program.
- Participation in ABC legislative efforts – partnering to work together on advocating for meaningful legislation.
- Access to our monthly updates on updates and news concerning our industry across the country.